Friday, May 20, 2011

Note from mom-a bit about your grandpa

Price, today was a special day for you and I. I got to take you to Mariner High School where they were having an honorary lunch for your Grandpa because he was inducted into the WA state track and field hall of fame. The lunch consisted of the current principal, current teachers and coaches who worked with him and old coaches and teachers who worked with him or coached against him for many years. It was a great group of people and most got to meet you for the first time. They all thought your name was very special. 
Even though you won't remember this lunch or know your grandpa in person, I hope through stories and memories you'll know your grandpa well and I'm confident you will. I wanted your dad to come to the lunch today but he was teaching. Even your dad was cut short in developing a strong relationship with your grandpa. He knew him but not long enough. 
Many stories were told about your grandpa. The underlying theme was how dedicated, passionate and intense he was about coaching and kids. He was tough, his teaching and coaching styles somewhat eccentric, but always effective. Another coach in his district stated it well, "the coaches who didn't know Howard, didn't like him, thought he was too emotional & intense but the many who got to know him idolized him and wanted to strive to be the coach and teacher he was." 
One thing that stood out the most to me, now as a mom, is how much time and effort he put into his job, his passion, yet he was so dedicated to his family. I brought that up and many said, "but you and Howie were with him every second." That's true. We lived at the track, spent weekends at Mariner, I got to know his students and athletes, and their families, personally. It was his life but it was ours too and we loved it. He was such a good dad but he was equally a great mentor to so many other kids. The current track coach at Mariner was one of my dad's prized runners. He stated that "Mr. Price was exactly the type of coach I needed at that time in my life. He helped shape who I am today." 
It's bitter sweet because as soon as I got married to your dad Grandpa was excited to have a grandchild. I know you won't be able to do the many things he looked forward doing with you but your dad and I will pick up the slack. We will take you fishing, take you to the zoo, dig for clams at the beach and put you on our backs when swimming. His spirit will always be with you Price and he will always be proud of you. He loved you before you were even born and loves you to this day. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, perfectly stated. I needed a good cry! He's got a front row seat for the Price show in heaven!

    ReplyDelete