Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Note from mom-Teaching

Well, today is the first day of school. Kadin got up early, put a tie on, I made his lunch, Price gave him a kiss and hug good bye and then was off. He starts his 7th year teaching. How can it already be 7 years? I taught for 6, how can he be teaching longer than me? :) The first day of school always brings back fond memories for me-from a teacher stand point. I loved teaching. I loved the kid's excitement, the big eyes, the energy from everyone, it was awesome. I miss teaching, and I miss all those crazy, fun kids. 

But things are different now. I have a new student, a single student, and his name is Price. I get to teach him all day, with a couple nap breaks. Those are his refueling breaks. He goes down for a bit and gets up ready to learn. I get to teach him so many new and exciting things. We learn names of objects. He points at EVERYTHING and wants to know what it is. That takes up most of our school day-pointing. I get to teach him about foods, how to drink out of a cup and how to calm down when he can't have bananas at every meal. 

I teach about colors, how to give hugs and kisses, how to pick out books and turn the pages. I teach him not to touch the stereo speaker or the candle holder, as much as he wants to. I teach him how to stay still and not roll over on the changing table. I teach him to help me put together his diapers out of the laundry,  how to wash his hands in the sink when he puts his hands in his poop. 

As much as I miss the energy and the number of kids when I was teaching, I wouldn't trade what I am doing in a single heart beat. I have the best student in the world. He wakes up every morning ready for his day and looks forward to learning. 

Yesterday was my most favorite lesson so far. It was just him and I. Beautiful, sunny day and we went down to the beach. We sat together, our feet in the sand and played a pass the rock and splash game. He picked up a rock, handed it to me, I threw it in the water, the rock made a splash and he clapped his hands. We played this game for a half hour and Price and I could not have been any happier. Pure bliss. Just an example of a daily lesson with Price and mommy. Looking so much to many more new lessons to come. I think it's going to be a good school year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment