Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Note from mom, Topic: SLEEP

Sleep: the single most aspect of motherhood that I was scared of. Before baby I required sleep-at least 8 hours. I respected sleep, I never took it for granted. I thank sleep for helping me not get sick very often. It is such an under rated aspect of health. 

So when Price came, sleep went out the window. The first 3 months he was waking up at least every 2 hours during the night wanting to nurse. Pretty common for breast fed babies. Remarkably I didn't think I was even really that tired. I think the first couple months you are running on adrenaline and just this weird instinct you suddenly get when you become a mom. You wake up to the cry and you jump out of bed ready to go, it's a strange thing but awesome to say the least. So about 2 months into this mommy hood thing that is when I really started getting tired. I think the novelty was wearing off and the adrenaline was dwindling. I tried to do what everyone said, "sleep when the baby sleeps." Well yeah, I tried, it doesn't always work. I'd rather throw a load of laundry in, cut up some vegetables for dinner, check my email, do something "unmommy like" things while the baby sleeps. Oh, and forget about exercise. The personal trainer can't even muster up the strength or desire to whip out the hand weights and mat and do a workout when the baby sleeps. Looking back on my "plan" before baby....well, that was my plan. Ain't gonna happen. I just have to count my lucky stars that I have a job where I can exercise. So anyway, not sleeping when baby sleeps is probably why I was really tired all of a sudden. I was not getting quality or enough sleep.

So this is where the heaven's gates opens for me. Price is 3 and a half months old and for whatever reason he has decided to sleep longer stretches and we are thrilled! I don't want to talk too soon, I know things change quickly but I want to express my appreciation and excitement for his newest task. The last two nights he sleep a straight 6 hours! Unbelievable really. He went from 3 to 6 hour stretches just like that. We think he's going through a growth spurt or just that this is what babies do. It's funny for me to think about praising 6 hours. Before we had Price 6 hours of sleep would put me in a zombie state the next day, it just would not cut it. But after this 6 hour stint I woke up jumping out of bed ready for the day and not hitting the concrete wall in the afternoon.

 We'll see what happens. It's a roller coaster ride for sure but a fun roller coaster so I'm ready to see what's next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment